I am just curious for those that have Multiple Sclerosis....and for those who don't have it but would like to know more...would you rather read factual informational articles about MS, or do you gain more sustenance from reading personal accounts of people who have MS?
For me...whatever topic I am wanting to know more information about, I always find the personal accounts to be more of value to me.
The research about MS is particularly tricky to decipher because one never knows if one of the major drug companies is behind it. And the stats...well...they never tell the whole picture do they?
What had helped me most when I began to seek information to help my son who has special needs were books written by parents in the same situation as well as talking to parents on support groups. Likewise with MS, I get the best information from folks who are in the thick of this. It helps me to know how someone else is getting along and coping rather than reading a bunch of stats or promises of cures in the future.
Just wondering out loud this morning...
14 comments:
In dealing with my diabetes I find a combination of the two information sources works the best for me.
I get a lot of practical information when reading anecdotal stories written by people who have the same daily issues I have with diabetes. Their struggles often help me realize that my own are not so difficult and that there are things I can do to help myself.
Technical articles, when not written by drug companies help me to understand the physical mechanics of the disease.
Both help me to better deal with the diabetes on a daily basis.
I don't have MS, but like you, I always get more from reading personal stories of people's experience with anything. The "factual" info can be statistically based, and statistics relate averages and such--they don't tell any one person's experience.
Never be daunted by statistics. Listen to what those who've experienced something firsthand have to say.
i'm with you, hon... personal perspectives always interest me more than dull stats!
Unless your doctor has MS too, there is no way he/she can relate. So I vote for personal MS stories from those who are in my boat.
Just my two cents worth,
Anne
I prefer to read personal accounts because otherwise any articles or studies seem to be backed by a drug company. And we all know they only tell us what they want us to know.
For me, ever since I was diagnosed with MS in 2002, I researched everywhere, including getting the books from the library. I purchased some books that I discovered so I can go back to them as often as I can. I joined Multiple Sclerosis Society. I even bought books written by MS patiences so I can see how they cope with MS.
Finally, I suf online and discovered many like your blog sharing their experiences.
Often reading and discerning is what needed. You learn as you research more. I know more about MS today than I did in 2002 and 2003.
Have a good weekend.
Jim
wow...i didn't know you had diabetes dirk. that is also another hard disease to endure and...live with.
I would prefer to hear personal accounts - more real somehow.
I actually met my ex-wife when I was researching a newspaper article on MS and had interviewed a number of sufferers. She was one of them. In her case, however, I fell in love with her. I learned most from living with somebody with MS. I retain my interest and compassion.
Yes, I agree that one gets the most out of reading things written by people who also have MS and have been "going through it," so to speak. For myself, I enjoy writing personal pieces about living with MS. I agree that a lot of the technical stuff kind of gets stuck in your throat--it's so dry. The book I enjoyed most was MS for Dummies. Shows where I'm at.
Hmmm, well, didn't have the Web stuff when I was DX, read all I could,but mostly about the brain, nerves, stuff related to, but not specifically MS...it was clear early on, and remains so, that "experts" and "Drs." don't have solid answers//that said, newbies make me feel bad, like, oh gees--just wait. YOU might have a pretty darn normal life with MS. Or you may deal with a lot of crap. I STILL don't know what my future brings. I can't only hear MS stories, too many snake oil people out there. Read it all with a grain of salt.
personal
I like the research stuff as it seems the personal accounts point to facts in the research eventually.
As with most things in life the personal touch has it for me. I really struggle with the interpretation side of things when reading the factual articles.
btw great new 'Moi' pic
Post a Comment