well...i am feeling better physically only to have my mood plummet. go figure. riding the rollercoaster all the time....not fun.
while i was sick i had some time to do some things i normally don't give in to...like reading the stack of magazines by my bed. and i thought that whenever i do read something good...i will save it...here. i have labeled this as odds and ends. you never know what you might find...kinda like a favorite drawer of trinkets.
i actually used an "odds and end" from a magazine i haphazardly was reading over the holidays. there was a christmas snippet which said to write to someone you normally don't write to. and so i did! i had lost contact with a childhood friend for some years now but did find her parents old address from years and years ago. i had low hopes of ever finding my friend again but thankfully her parents still live in the same house as when we were twelve year olds. imagine that! i just got her letter today.
so who knows...maybe the information i post will be useful to someone...perhaps even me. i just think it is a shame to waste a magazine...why not write down a few good ideas from it.
Here is a little snippet from an article by Stephanie Losee entitled, The Willpower Myth: " Alan Deutscman in his book Change or Die: The three keys to change at work and at at life, out this month in paperback from Collins, Deutschman, executive director of the Atlanta consulting firm Unboundary, decided to get to the bottom of whatever it is that makes people and corporations change-especially after they have tried and failed.
What he found was that people get unstuck not through willpower but through a relationship with a person or a group who shows them the way. Not just any relationship will do. It has to be an emotional relationship who inspires hope and belief, who makes you say, if she can do it, I can too."
==============================
This really hit home for me especially here in the blog world. The things you do and say here could potentially really help someone. Anyone can look up a quote or spout off cliches. But only *you* can share elements of your life which have meaning far beyond your experience. Integrity is very critical here. This is why I am very choosy about who I give my respect and admiration to.
I really do feel strongly as well that it is the connection we find with others...relationships...which ultimately help us to change and grow. None of us grow in a vacuum. We need help along the way.
My second Odds and End is a quote (lol...secretly I do love quotes) from Richard Bausch from Off the Page: Writers talk about beginnings, endings, and everything in between, edited by Carole Burns:
"I don't teach writing, I teach patience. Toughness. Stubborness, the willingness to fail. I teach the life. The odd thing is most of the things that stop an inexperienced writer are so far from the truth as to be nearly beside the point. When you feel global doubt about your talent, that is your talent. People who have no talent don't have any doubt."
-----------------------
I love that quote because...it is so true. Nobody has all the answers. Don't let anyone fool you to think otherwise. So many "experts" have no clue how to write, live their own life, connect with others, etc. I love this quote because it says to me...it is okay not to know. It is okay to feel doubt about one's talents. From that point...you proceed.
20 comments:
sometimes a quote that can touch just the right chord, and when it is from someone you respect or connect to somehow it can really pack a punch.
happy new year to you :)
hope you're feeling better
You strike me as a sponge for life and the people who live it, that is a rare human being. It is my privilege to read your thoughts. Thank you for the gift.
"The things you do and say here could potentially really help someone. Anyone can look up a quote or spout off cliches. But only *you* can share elements of your life which have meaning far beyond your experience."
That's SO inspiring. I love to blog, but seldom think I could really make a difference. What a privilege it is to be a blogger, eh? ...and a responsibility too.
I love those quotes! Thanks for sharing.
I love quotes! Must write that one down! Thank you!
I think the last quote is so true! I love it as well.
Thanks for your visit and interest. And the welcome to read over some of the private thoughts in your life.
I believe your intentions are good as well and I look forward to reviewing them through your desire to write them out.
Cheers, and Happy New Year,
Godspeed, Aero
I like the quote about it being about the itegrity, quality of relationship that pleads to solutions, rather than willpower because I have enormous willpower, and until very recently, through blogging, have had very few relationships of an kind for the last more than two years - and have not thrived in that time period.
I left you a long comment on my blog under the "Going Out" post. I get behind and out of order a lot , so I hope you check back sometimes.
Thank you.
Nice work. I totally agree, and I find some blogs to be very helpful and inspirational. others may just be entertaining but they give you insights to other people and places. There are a few blogs in particular that I really visit regularly that I feel ave changed my life for the better.
It was sure nice to see a new face on my blog. Thank-you for the compliment on my writing/blogging. That was so nice and thoughtful.
I really like this that you said:
Integrity is very critical here. This is why I am very choosy about who I give my respect and admiration to.
Integrity and respect are very important to me. I really am a firm believer in surrounding oneself with positive, respectful people.
I can already tell that you are a person who understands some deep and important things in life and I look forward to learning more about you. You sound like you've been through a lot and learned much.
Relationships are so important and that is what I really enjoy about blogging. I have made some really true friends through out the years.
I feel strengthened and supported in so many ways. I'm all about sharing the love. We are all in this life together.
By the way, I added you to my blog roll. I hope that's o.k. If not just let me know and I'll take it down. :)
hi guys...this is why i love blogging so. you get to meet some really great people you would never have met otherwise.
james...i am delighted to meet you and...i believe i have also added you to my blogroll.
I really like that quote because I actually can relate to it. I love quotes and I have thousands of quotes that I have not posted in my blog yet. One of the quotes that caught my eyes was Gerald Ford's when he said to the reporters: "I want you to know I am someone who enjoys having adversaries who are not enemies."
I have learned that my thoughts shapes my character. "Our thoughts not only reveal what we are, they predict what we will become. We will soon be the sum total of our thoughts." A.W. Tozer
With my disabilities, I am trying to be careful of how I think. I just can't let my disabilities get in the way of my life.
By the way, I discovered your blog not long ago and I actually enjoy reading your posts.
Have a good New Year. Jim
Your comments on willpower was especially succinct and true, and the suggestion that contact with others will serve you better was apt indeed.
We used to use an analogy about willpower when I was counseling addicts. It went something like this: "If you think that all it takes to get clean and sober is willpower, then try testing willpower the next time you have diarrhea." Excuse the crudity of the example, but it is true.
Meanwhile I love your photobucket montage. You are a very fetching lady and take a wonderful picture.
"I am very choosy and selective about my links to fellow bloggers. My wish is to create a diverse but tight knit community of friends and support. Know that each one of my links is someone special who I have hand selected for a reason."
I just noticed that. Wow. I feel so honored!
Thanks...
I hope you're feeling better!
Thanks for your concerns and stopping at my blog several times. I reall appreciate it. I, too have loads of magazines that I rip out articles and quotes. I have a file cabinet filled with research for future books that I want to write :)
Hey you...
Just doing a drive-by here to say hi; checking up on you to make sure you're alive and kicking. Which, thankfully, it seems you are.
Love the quote.
Love YOU.
Happy New Year!
awww hey! long time no see...where ya been hiding? happy new year friend!
Congratulations on your 2007 Eddie Award. You have been duly recognized for your outstanding blogging efforts. Well done!
an award? for moi? this IS truly an honor indeed! is this award edible?
Post a Comment