Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hmmm...

Well...got a call from my neurologist's office today. It was the nurse relaying a simple message from the doc that the Prozac will take another two to three days to get out of my system. So of course I asked, "But did she say whether or not the prozac can be causing the sorts of symptoms I have now with my bladder and not getting my period?" and she says...the doctor only chose to answer the one question of how long does prozac take to leave my system.

so...??????? does this mean she is in agreement with me stopping it? does she feel it could cause these things? who knows huh?

lol

Straight answers...I fear I may not get them. Off to my general practitioner today. I am a lot more hopeful he can help me. He is the one who pretty much helped to diagnose me quickly with MS. He is a good doc.

I am learning lessons here...not sure what they are yet but I am definitely learning something. :>)

Hope you all are well. I promise to write more normal stuff soon...when my little medical mystery is resolved.

---------------------------------------

UPDATE: just came from my regular doc and...he wants an ultrasound for me. This seems logical and reasonable. He is also thinking a possible fibroid problem or else an MS symptom of retaining urine in the bladder. I have no clue at this point.

Please god...no more medical issues...MS is enough for now. Right? Doesn't work that way I know.

10 comments:

Miss Chris said...

A straight answer from a doctor? I've never heard of such a thing. lol

Diane J Standiford said...

GYNO

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Meds suck all around. As for doctors, I went through 10 different psychiatrists before I found my current one who is the best.

I don't like the doctors who feel self-important and have a god complex.

Unknown said...

One issue and another is never fun. Straight answers from doctors? LOL I hope this will be better for you soon.

Hugs, Jim

Anonymous said...

Just hope you feel better soon.

BRAINCHEESE said...

They are not taught to give straight answers in medical school...tends to frighten the caged patients!

Linda D. in Seattle

laughingwolf said...

so far my gp has been upfront with me, even if he knows little about proper diet, other than the crap sent out by pharm companies grrrrrrrrr

hope you get well, soon

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Synchronicity said...

well...i have been reading up on side effects of the prozac and urinary issues seem to be a thing. here is what i found and i will make a post of this later. all i know is...i am feeling a whole lot better off the prozac. very strange indeed!

-----------------------------

this is from a website where a doc answers questions about prozac:

Prozac & Urinary Frequency [posted 12/01/98]
Question: I have been on Prozac for at least 6 months and I am finding myself with constant urinary frequency. (I go on an average of 14-20 times a day.) I have been tested for infections and other things, but everything is fine. Thinking back, I believe that this started when I started the Prozac. Is this a known side effect of Prozac? I am thinking of working with my doctor to get off Prozac, but I really like what it does for my bipolar and anxiety situation. (Plus, it is helping me lose the weight I gained with Effexor.) Is there anything close to Prozac out there that I can try? The only reason I am even considering getting off the Prozac is because the urinary frequency is interfering with work and school. Any help is most appreciated.
Answer: Well, you would find out pretty fast if you stopped it. Prozac can affect bladder sphincter tone and give difficulty starting urine stream in some. But, if it goes away off the Prozac, clearly the cause.



Prozac
Question: I have been on Prozac since 1993; starting at 10mg/day, then 30, and in the last 6 months to 30mg/day. It has been effective in treating my depression. Suddenly, I have become incapacitated: extreme dizziness, bad headaches, urinary hesitancy, no appetite. It's back into deep depression, but is it the Prozac shutting down? Or possibly a disconnected malady? A switch to Effexor is suggested. Any ideas?

Answer: I'm not sure this is all depression. The urinary hesitancy and headaches are common side effects of Prozac-- especially in larger doses. Vertigo would occasionally occur as a side effect. The lack of appetite could be depression. Do you feel like the "old depression"? Many of these sound like side effects to the drug. If this is so, a switch to a different class might be helpful, and Effexor or Wellbutrin is what most physicians would pick.

Urinary Hesitancy
Question: I have a patient who is taking Prozac and is experiencing severe urinary hesitancy. Is this a side effect of this drug?

Answer: Prozac, like many other antidepressants, has some anti-cholinergic activity. The parasympathetic nervous system is consequently affected and can cause urinary symptoms as well as constipation and a dry mouth. These will clear with discontinuation of the drug.

To: all
i have had bladder problems off & on over the years and it always seemed to be when i was taking prozac...my doctor never once mentioned that [prozac could be causing all my problems...i had the tubes of the bladder stretched many times and have had much pain.
and had taken many antibiotics when urine tests show infection.
.i am thinking about stopping the prozac even though it has helped me so much from aniety/nervousness after having my four children.. any advice would be greatly appreciated ...like what other antidepressant i could try instead of prozac. thanks so much,

After taking Prozac for 11 days at 10 mgs a day my bladder
shut down and I could not urinate. Had to go to a clinic to take care of the problem. The Doctor took me off prozac and said don't take it again. It has been 4 days since I have been off prozac and the bladder has return to normal. Has anyone experienced a problem like this? Are all SSRI's going to have this effect?

whimsical brainpan said...

I'm so sorry hon. There is nothing worse than an I don't know from a doctor.