Thursday, July 10, 2008

What to write?

this is me...making an attempt.

i am not sure where i have been. mostly in my head. i seem to live there lately. it is not too bad. but i do feel more and more disconnected. "i used to write," i tell myself. but lately it just doesn't occur to me to do so.

sure...there is much i wish to discuss, express, and share. but for now it remains bottled up...safely inside of me.

i feel this great sense of inertia and apathy. i want to care but i seemingly don't. unless something reminds me. like a movie or a song.

perhaps this is what one feels before embarking upon some great change. i keep feeling as though change is near but it has this ghost like presence and i can't quite grasp it. and some days...i just don't care to try.

it's not so bad really. just a phase. we all go through...something.

17 comments:

Jorgo said...

I have become a believer in biorhythms - that is, some days it just doesn't work!

No matter what I do, on these days, the results will be sub-par.

For inspiration, try reading your previous posts!

Or have a thought about "surfing" some blogs.

Whatever exercise is possible for you, may benefit you, if in a bit more of a routine.

Or, just be....

Your posts have been really interesting and insightful. If you are having a break at the moment, more power to you!

Be as well as you can be... ;-)

Diane J Standiford said...

Breathe, just breathe. (I love that song)2 AM and she calls me 'cause I'm still awake,
"Can you help me unravel my latest mistake?,
I don't love him. Winter just wasn't my season"
Yeah we walk through the doors, so accusing their eyes
Like they have any right at all to criticize,
Hypocrites. You're all here for the very same reason

'Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button, girl.
So cradle your head in your hands
And breathe... just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe

May he turned 21 on the base at Fort Bliss
"Just a day" he said down to the flask in his fist,
"Ain't been sober, since maybe October of last year."
Here in town you can tell he's been down for a while,
But, my God, it's so beautiful when the boy smiles,
Wanna hold him. Maybe I'll just sing about it.

Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable,
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table.
No one can find the rewind button, boys,
So cradle your head in your hands,
And breathe... just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe

There's a light at each end of this tunnel,
You shout 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out
And these mistakes you've made, you'll just make them again
If you only try turning around.

2 AM and I'm still awake, writing a song
If I get it all down on paper, it's no longer inside of me,
Threatening the life it belongs to
And I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd
Cause these words are my diary, screaming out loud
And I know that you'll use them, however you want to

But you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable,
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button now
Sing it if you understand.
and breathe, just breathe
woah breathe, just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe,
Oh breathe, just breathe.

laughingwolf said...

as long as you keep up with what the kids and hub need, don't worry too much about writing, hon... it'll come when it's ready :)

Denver Refashionista said...

It seems that many of us are feeling this way right now. We feel we should be motivated but we are not. We want to write but the ideas don't flow. Seems like most people are tired and hot. I know I have not been myself for a few days and my writing is suffering. I think it is ok to take a break when we don't feel it.

DirkStar said...

Jello!

whimsical brainpan said...

I think things come in cycles. The wheel will turn and you'll find yourself wanting to write again.

rel said...

Merelyme
I think we live outside the bottle of inspiration most of the time. That is, dealing with the everyday humdrums of getting by. And when we're done with that we just don't have the energy to climb into the bottle. When we force ourselves into the bottle we frequently find it empty.
Pick a word, any word and write about it for ten minutes and then tear it up and put it in the bottle, and we will see what we will see.
rel

Ian Lidster said...

I am in a dry spell right now and have also had some health concerns of late, and that tends to sap creativity.
It's out there for me, too, but I know I have to be patient.

marja said...

Sometimes we're not in a space where we can give, Merelyme. And writing is a form of giving. I know where you're at because I have been there many times before. Just don't feel bad or guilty about it, okay? Take this time to just be. You WILL come back. All you need is time.

Be good to yourself. - marja

Miss Chris said...

Sounds a lot like a cycle I go through every now and then. Mostly apathy that I can't seem to shake until it's ready to let go.

JINKS said...

ditto wit Marja's comments....it's surprising when one does "come back" that apathy can't quieten the soul, it continues to work on things and your writing will reveal it.

Blinders Off said...

sure...there is much i wish to discuss, express, and share. but for now it remains bottled up...safely inside of me.

I understand where you are coming from. It is safely inside you until you are ready to discuss, express, or share it. See you when you complete your phase :)

bbabe said...

I think we all go through phases with mood or maybe it just seems that way b/c I have Grave's disease and my moods/emotions are a little all over the map, depending on whether my thyroid level is high or low. Dang hormones!

laughingwolf said...

SHOULD you write?

http://www.hollylisle.com/fm/Articles/feature11.html

Stephen said...

been missing you. i write a lot of beginnings, tiny character sketches, doodles, if you will, that never turn into anything. and as a photographer, i go for months without even picking up a camera, and then, all of a sudden, that's all i want to do.

i read in "be here now," the notion that sometimes we go into retreat and other times we live in the marketplace. ram dass likened it to a roller coaster - going up and down, constantly in cycle. how can you ever come in if you never go out?

Furtheron said...

You've been way too quiet of late.

You okay?

Joan said...

You must have missed the memo:
To: Writers, Bloggers, Poets:
From: The Muse Factory

The Writing Muse took a few weeks off for summer vacation but now she is back to work and well rested after fun at the beach with her sisters.
Unfortunately, there are lots of people in the queue waiting to be inspired, so please be patient while she catches up on her work load. Your business is very important to us and we thank you for your continued patronage."


So don't worry, you'll be back wow'ing us with your writings in no time!